Friday, October 23, 2009

Friday Five - My Favorite Song

Genevieve's Friday Five

I got this week's Friday Five from a blog that offers Friday Five questions to people to use in their blogs. I like these questions because I think you can learn a lot about a person by listening to their favorite song.



1. If the world was ending and you could listen to one song, what would it be?
Standing Still By Jewel. For some reason, I can listen to it over and over and I never get tired of it. I think that's the way it usually is with a favorite song, right? The song talks about being at your very lowest point and asking some of the most emotionally intimate questions you can be asked. The questions "Do you want me? Do you need me? Do you love me?" can mean anything to anyone, based on the situation. I understand that they are mostly connected to social interactions - but can really be anything that you can feel connected to. If the world is ending, I am going to be doing a lot of thinking about my life and if I feel confident with my final day. Did I love others enough? Did I act in a way that made others need me? Did I try hard enough with others to make them want me around?

2. How did you first come across that song?
Normally, I would be embarrassed to admit that my favorite song is a pop radio song. I first heard the song on the radio. That's the beauty of a radio song. It is totally random when it plays, and if you happen to need to hear it when it comes on, it is a nice reminder that there is someone or something bigger out there that is watching out and is aware that you are struggling. It's funny - I will hear it in restaurants, malls, gas stations - anywhere... and it's usually when I need to hear it.

3. If it reminds you of a person, is that person still with you?
Fortunately, this song does not remind me of anyone but me. I have listened to it through many different relationships and times in my life... and it doesn't remind me of any one person. That is the beauty of the song - it is so versatile. It can apply to most any situation and most any relationship I've encountered.

4. Does anyone else know what that song means to you?
At it's deepest level, no. I don't think I've ever been asked this question. There are different lines in the song that mean so many different things to me. Each of my favorite lines have run through my mind many times when I'm about to give up.
Cutting through the darkest night are my two headlights
Trying to keep it clear, but I'm losing it here to the twilight
There's a dead end to my left
There's a burning bush to my right
You aren't in sight
You aren't in sight

Between fight and flight
Is the blind man's sight
And a choice that's right
I roll the window down
Feel like I'm gonna drown
In this strange town
Feel broken down
I feel broken down
5. Where would you listen to it, and with whom?
I can remember specific situations when I have listened to it, and with certain people who have been aware that it is my favorite song and used it to try to connect with me. Usually I appreciated that they made the effort to acknowledge that my favorite song was so important to me. I also feel like I keep the deepest reasons why I love the song to myself. I may not even be able to say why it works so well for me. I know that whenever I need to hear it, it somehow relates to my current situation and reminds me that "a sweet sorrow is the call tomorrow". This line means that I get to live through whatever I'm dealing with right now today - and tomorrow I will be sad that I had to go through the tough stuff... but I know that I've learned something which makes it a little bit sweeter.

Happy Friday, everyone!

1 comments:

Sheriff said...

Wow, it's nice to know a little more about you. I understand what you mean about not telling the deepest reasons you love the song. My favorite song is "Sleeping In" by The Postal Service, and honestly I don't think I could even tell you the deepest reasons for my affinity of that song. I'm not even sure I know myself.