Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Philippino Phood Phun

I always hear these great stories from returned missionaries about their food experiences on their missions. I always laugh when they talk about the crazy food that they were "forced" to eat while they were visiting a member's house. I experienced this today.

I work with some of the most fun and sweetest people I have ever met. They are all so genuine and kind. They all treat me so well and make me feel important. I really enjoy working with the team here in Manila. They usually have one person who is "assigned" to me to make sure I eat lunch and make sure I have someone to walk me out at night. Usually for lunch we grab something fast and easy.

Yesterday, a group of us went out to eat at this Chinese spot in an area of Manila known as the Red Light District. I saw some pretty crazy things while we were driving down the main road of the Red Light District. I've been to Amsterdam and seen that Red Light District... but this one was pretty different. The restaurant they originally wanted to take me to was closed... so we ended up going to this other Chinese spot.

We walked in and got a table. I looked up on the wall, and there was this huge poster. In cursive in huge letters, it said "Chicken's Feet". The picture showed a plate with three fried things on it. I was not quite sure if it was for real.... but then they ordered it.

They brought lots of food to the table... there were shrimp wontons, fried rice, lemon chicken, chicken's feet, shark's fin and fried squid.

I tried the shark's fin and the fried squid, but NOT the chicken feet. I just couldn't bring myself to it.

The shark's fin was ok, it didn't really taste weird or gross... it just tasted like some kind of meat in a wonton.

I didn't like the fried squid, mostly because of the texture. The lemon chicken was the best and the shrimp wontons and the fried rice were good too.

I'm not sure I can try their duck egg... they keep talking about getting me one to try. I think they like my reaction to the food. It's not that I'm disgusted by it... it's that I'm not used to these types of foods. I can appreciate their culture and that they've come to enjoy these foods because they wanted to make the most of their resources. I hoped I came across in a way that was not disrespectful, and tried to show them this by trying most of everything.

Work is going well for me, I am working very hard. I am averaging 12.5 hours per night and so I get off of work and usually am pretty tired. Last night Karly and I went to breakfast and then out to the pool to relax. We had some non-alcoholic beverages and I chatted with Arthur in the sun. It was pretty fun... but we both got tired pretty fast.

I am excited for after work, we are going to Green Hills, which is the shopping market here where you can buy knock-offs of all of the best handbags and other brands. I plan on buying some nice things for my family for Christmas as well. I am excited! There is a girl at work named Ice who will be bartering for us in Tagalog. I can't barter worth crap, I end up just saying ok to the price they want. This is why Ice is coming with us! We are also going with a few other people from work, Laia, Glenn and Wency. I love them!

Ok, I am going to get ready for work now. Another day, another dollar. :) More blogging tomorrow!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I still have you beat on the worst food ever eaten, Pig Fat Soup and Blood Sausage!

Whit said...

Gen, me and Leo love reading about your trip. Seriously, the chicken feet look like hands. What a cool experience for you and we're so glad that you are safe and having a good time. We look forward to having you back in Utah!

Ara said...

Ya, I'm pretty willing to try any food...I don't know if I would be able to stomach trying those chicken feet. It sounds like a really cool experience you're having. :)