Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving

It's interesting how I often forget about my blog and don't post for days and even weeks at a time. It is not intentional for me to forget about my blog, because I tend to avoid certain things if I'm feeling like I'm not doing a good enough job. I can't really vow to try and do better, because unless blogging more often is a major goal of mine, it will always be bobbing in the sea of my "I'll try to get to it".

I celebrated Thanksgiving today with my family in Boise, Idaho. I have been coming up here for as long as I can remember to eat Thanksgiving dinner with all of my mom's side relatives. My grandparents are getting so old, and it's tough to watch them moving slower and physically deteriorating. For example, my Grandpa gave the family prayer for dinner, and it was like he was in a loop. He kept saying the same things over and over again... and my uncle had to stop him after he'd been going for what seemed like forever. I couldn't believe how his mind has started to slow down. He is the one of the smartest people I know, and if his mind goes - there won't be much left of him. I love my Grandpa.

My Grandpa has had a pretty awesome life. He has some really interesting stories. He likes to tell them anytime he can. For example, he had the first radio station in the entire state of Idaho. He also established the first hamburger stand in all of the continent of Africa. He sold the first hamburger in South Africa. He is a major reason why I feel I have such a strong work ethic. He has always pushed me to work hard, and has reinforced the fact that "hard work pays off".

Every family has troubles, and often doesn't get along, but I feel like my family works hard to be friends. We have a few hiccups with a few people, but who doesn't? I think for the size of our family, we do really well with making sure we all get along. I love that all of my cousins and I can still hug each other.

Here are some things I am thankful for:
1. My husband, Arthur
2. My family
3. The relationship I have with my family
4. My job
5. Our home
6. Good food
7. My cats
8. Friends
9. My country
10. My health

It's late, and I wanted to get up to go shopping in the morning, but I think my husband and I are going to sleep in a little and then go to IHOP for breakfast. I love IHOP. Butter Pecan syrup, here I come!!! Happy Thanksgiving to you!

0 comments: