Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Promotion: It felt like reality TV

One thing about me that a lot of people don't know is that I don't like to stay in one particular job for a long time. I find that when I get bored at what I do, I look for other work that isn't as boring.

I work for eBay, and I have been with the company since January of 2007. That is a long time for me to work for a company. The longest job I ever held was with Marriott and that was from 2002 - 2007, just under 5 years. I didn't have the same position all 5 years though. I moved from job to job within the company. I never felt content. I ended up getting laid off from that job.

I have been a trainer at eBay for the past 2 years. Before that, I was an Account Manager for 6 months. I have enjoyed being a trainer, and have stuck with it. As I learned more about what my job as a trainer really was, I realized that I had different abilities that I never knew I had. Like leadership skills, and project management skills. I decided that I needed to look for something higher.

I want to become a Project Manager at eBay, and most Project Managers are supervisors first. So 2 weeks ago I applied to be a Supervisor. It has been a rollercoaster for sure!

The interview process began on Monday. I had a formal 30 minute interview with my current (and future) boss. It was pretty stressfull because of how formal it all was. I was used to a different type of setting for communicating with my boss. I now wanted to be seen as a potential leader and not as a supporter alone. The questions were tough, but I think I did ok. Only 7 out of the 10 people applying made it through this round. I did, thankfully.

The second round of the process was on Tuesday. Each candidate had a 30 minute interview with all of the current supervisors. All in the same room. 7 supervisors, one Genevieve. They fired question after question at me and tested to see how well I fielded the answers in a setting like that. I think I did ok, but it was really hard to tell. 7 supervisors asking me if I would handle an escalation over a crying rep? Yikes. I made it through this round, and so did every other applicant.

The last round was yesterday. We had a quick 10 minute formal interview with the Manager again and then we were given a task. The formal interview asked us which of the current supervisors we work the best with. That was easy. I told him who I thought I was the most like and then he asked me who I was the most unlike. Yikes. I told him who I believed I could get to know better, and he then assigned me my project. He said "Now, go and create a huddle as if you were the person you just told me you are different from."

A huddle is a quick team meeting that is facilited by a supervisor and usually has a 1-2 page guide that the supervisor reads from to help keep the meeting on task. I had never created a huddle, but figured since I've been a trainer for two years I would do ok. I was given exactly 1 hour to get the job done and send it back to my manager.

I pushed myself and got it done. Barely. I emailed it back to the manager right on the minute it was due. Phew.

So now the waiting game begins. I spoke to one of my really good friends at work who is also a trainer, and who is also applying for the same position. We both agreed that no matter who gets it, they will know how hard everyone worked through the interview process. It will be exciting to find out who got the job. There are two positions available and 7 applicants total. I have a 2 in 7 chance of getting the job... and the competition is pretty stiff. This whole experience has felt like a tv show contest. I hope I come out on top - I will let you know!

Wish me luck...

4 comments:

Whit said...

Hello Gen! I love that you're such a good blogger, and good luck on your this application. I think that'd be amazing. I'm working on my blogging... we'll see if I can keep up on it. I hope you have an awesome weekend and let us know about the job.

Sheriff said...

I never knew you didn't like Ed?

Genevieve said...

I like Ed. It didn't have anything to do with who I don't like. It was someone who I was unlike, or not similar to. I think Ed is awesome, we're just very different people.

Sheriff said...

Ah, I misunderstood :)